As the parents and guardians of our Lakewood Youth students from 6th – 12th grade, you are essential to the strength and success of our youth ministry. Thank you for allowing your student to be a part of what God is doing in Lakewood Youth. As a staff, we see the youth ministry entering a new season as we are making changes that we believe will make a lasting impact in your student's life. With that in mind, we wanted to take a moment and update you on the vision of Lakewood Youth moving forward.
We've seen for many years now, across the country, that most students stop attending church and walk away from their faith as they enter college and adulthood. Finding a way to keep our students connected to God and the church has been the motivation toward our vision. Research has shown that when students are connected to the church through serving and relationships, they are twice as likely to stay committed as they grow into adulthood. This data has shaped the two main objectives of our vision:
1. Build connection and community for our students through Life Groups and purposeful conversations in youth services.
2. Have students serve in the church during weekend services and allow them to work with adult volunteers and serve the younger generation in KidsLife.
A few ways we will accomplish these objectives are:
- Youth services on Wednesday night (7:30 pm) and Sunday afternoon (2:00 pm) to facilitate student connection, discipleship, and conversation for students to process and grow in their own faith
- Monthly Life Groups around the city to provide community and ministry in the students' neighborhood
- Quarterly Youth Nights for all students 6th – 12th grade to unify as one ministry
- Youth HUB on the 2nd Floor Lobby for youth to connect around weekend services, stay informed about youth services, events, and serving opportunities
- Youth seating in section 203 during weekend services so students may worship alongside their peers
One last important change is the blending and unifying of our youth ministry. In the past, we have operated as four different departments – English High School, Spanish High School, English Middle School, and Spanish Junior High. Moving forward, we are working as one team in Lakewood Youth, which includes English and Spanish students 6th – 12 grade.
This unification allows us to work as one staff, under one vision, joining forces to accomplish the same goals for all of our students. We will still offer grade specific youth services on Wednesday and Sunday for junior high and high school students, as well as grade specific Life Groups.
We hope to work more closely with you and provide updates as we move forward. One of the ways you can stay connected is to text YOUTH to 77377 to receive monthly updates of what is happening in the youth ministry. We also plan to gather with parents in order to better support and partner with you in your student's spiritual growth. If you have questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Thank you again for your continued commitment to your student's growth at Lakewood Youth. We are honored to join with you to develop a lasting faith and commitment to God in this next generation.